1.12.2009

Dressing room.

My mother and I went to Portland today to go to Powells bookstore, and popped in Buffalo Exchange. While the prices have gone up ($26.00 for a used blouse. Come on.) I found the only three vintage dresses, and a few other things in the store to try on.

60s purple velvet dress. Yeah. I got it. How could I not?


Modern knit dress with necklace detailing. Kind of cute, but...not for me.


Deep red velvet mandarin collar dress with gold letters. For all I know it could say "I used to be a man". All the more fun!


Another 60s mandarin collar dress, in a pretty turquoise and gold.


I've been searching for the perfect over the knee skirt for a while, but I always pictured it black. Pink is sooooo much better.


I ended up buying the purple dress, the red mandarin, and the pink skirt. I'll need to take in the red one a bit, so it may be a while before I wear it. I wonder how it would look with my yellow hat... I wish they would have more vintage, since they price it well (The purple dress was $15.00) but they have less vintage as time goes on, and more department store threads. Actually the other location has a fair selection, so next time I'll go to that one.

10 comments:

NodtoMod Vintage said...

LOVE the purple dress! I agree with you about buffalo exchange...ours here is wayyy over priced and does not have very much vintage...mainstream stuff only. Also the vintage they do have is marked super cheap! Plus for us!xoxo

Solanah said...

Yeah, I think location has some to do with it, because the one on the other side of town has a funky style base, so a bit more vintage, as long as it's fun. But yeah, plus for us ;)

Kim Caro said...

cute as always

SusiePrue said...

it was the downtown store, huh? the hawthorne store always had lots more vintage. plus, i used to stroll down the road and score tons at red light. sad thing was i usually had to get out of there fast due to their blaring music. even in my twenties that place would give me a throbbing headache! i guess it was worth it for my gorgeous blue kimberly knit dress and sequined mexican skirt. i think i paid around $10 for each of them.

T.Allen said...

The BE here in Phoenix has almost NO vintage...it's depressing. As usual, you've done well, how much fun is that pink skirt?!

Solanah said...

Yeah, next time I go shopping I'll go to Hawthorn, one time I took a bunch of stuff to trade to the Burnside location and they took NOTHING. Then I took the same stuff to Hawthorne and got nearly $90 worth of trade. Crazy. I agree about the music in Red Light, but it's pretty much the same at Buffalo Exchange. I haven't been to Red Light in a while, my mother hates the lighting and music, and none of my friends are that interested, so if I do go, they want to leave like 10 minutes later.

A real mexican skirt for $10? Thats such a steal.

I knowT.Allen, it's like candy! :)

Rhiannon said...

$15 for that dress? I want to move to Portland!

Solanah said...

Yep, it was a lucky find. And that was the most expensive of the three...

There are higher priced shops in Portland, but if you want a fair price, you just have to know where to look, and be willing for a hunt.

Anonymous said...

That velvet dress is amazing. Buffalo is so hit & miss--I'm surprised you found any vintage there!

TERI REES WANG said...

Seriously!...I'm in L.A. so we have loads of Vintage, thrift stores, and Resale shops. $26. for anything these days is a bargain around here. I learned from my wealthier customers long ago, if you love it..."it's a bargain at twice the price"!

That's usually how I narrow down my potential purchases. No "maybes" allowed out the door.