5.02.2009

1930s bow dress.


Yesterday I wore my newly finished 1930s dress I made from an old pattern. It turned out darling, and so easy to make too! I made some changes, such as adding a different collar, buttons instead of a bow, and raising the waist to better fit me. I kept forgetting to ask someone to take a picture so I could post it, it was a pretty busy day at work being a sidewalk fair most of the evening. Luckily on my break I met up with some friends and Anna snapped some candid photos (I like candid so much better than posed) and posted them on facebook, thanks Anna! It was such a windy day, I was holing onto my hat whenever I went outside, but still a nice day for the sidewalk fair, it felt so much like summer.
I am so ready to sew another dress, that one was so easy I think I may make another one in different fabrics with different details, it's just the perfect day dress.

19 comments:

reilly said...

Congrats on finishing it, it looks great! Perfect for Spring.

reilly said...

I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference about the Victorian capelet! I'm still learning! haha

I think even worse for me when antiquing was seeing a clothes rack from afar, only to get closer and see it's all 80s/90s! Those aren't antiques!

Sweetpaintedlady said...

Stunning Dress, the fabric is lovely

Kathryn said...

I've been following your blog for a while but never commented. Just wanted to say, amazing job on the dress! I'm so jealous of your sewing skills! I need to learn.

Lovely blog as well!

Kathryn

Josephine Frances said...

Fantastic job, congratulations! I really love the fabric, its such a great colour!

art deco dame said...

it turned out cute!

benedicte said...

That looks delightful. I love how you paired it with a straw hat; perfect touch. :)

Cedar said...

What a beautiful dress, it turned out so nicely!

AlicePleasance said...

You should be very proud of yourself, cause the dress is really amazing! I'm so jealous of your sewing skills!

Kitten loves vintage said...

Wow, well done! The fabric seems perfect for that type of dress, and the buttons make it look soo cute. :)

Dizzy Dame said...

cute!

Q's Daydream said...

That dress is just wonderful! You did a great job, I want one...haha! :o)

leila wylie said...

This turned out so well! You look great!

Rhiannon said...

Aww, I'm always in awe of people who can make gorgeous dresses from '30s and '40s patterns! This is so adorable . . .and I love the colors too. :)

Casey said...

Bravo on finishing the dress! It looks fantastic; the fabric and accent choices (belt, buttons) are so cute! I just love how pretty this dress is! :)

Anonymous said...

Amazing job on this dress! It's a lovely style, and the pattern and the details are just perfect. I'd be lucky just to get those buttons sewn on in a straight line!

Darla: Retro Ways said...

Your dress came out so cute, the changes you made make it so perfect. I love the contrast of the yellow buttons.
♥Darla

A said...

Love the dress. So bright and cheerful!

jenfromzen said...

Would like to see the pattern made from, I just would be a bit conflicted if you change so much of the dress from the pattern then what real 30s era dress are you making? I'm seeing a lot of bows also and I do like the bow blouse Emma Glee look with a pencil skirt, but I'm wondering if even I would be tempted to edit out the bows, but I think if I buy the bow dress I'll prolly leave them in there as that was what the style was. I just maybe need to pick enough variety of other stuff so that it isn't all bows.