6.22.2010

What's the deal with my pictures today?

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Ok, first off, I look pretty damn sad in the first photo. Not quite sure why, since I had a nice day at work (I love stylish customers). So ignore my face.
Second, the last photo makes me burst into laughter. Like, what on earth am I doing with that poor dandelion? I'm not paying attention to it. I'm just gazing off into the distance while showing it to you.
In all honesty I was a little shy since there was a group of people not too far away, and at one point a guy passed by and I said "I'm not a weirdo I swear!" as the timer was beeping. It's so awkward taking pictures of yourself when other people don't know what you're doing.

Anyway, this dress is actually a 1950s housedress. Housedresses were something you would wear during the day at home either over your slip, or over your clothes, so your nice clothes wouldn't get dirty. For instance you could go grocery shopping, come home, replace your day dress with your housedress, clean the house, and then put your day dress back on later to visit a friend. Or whatever.
This housedress has some stains and is well worn, which I love, it was obviously someone's day to day housedress. And the print is irresistible.
I see them every once in a while, always is pretty prints, and I think belted, they make great dresses, especially since most have big, roomy pockets!

All items in the outfit-Urban Eccentric Vintage

20 comments:

DalenaVintage said...

Tell me about it! I get super embarrassed when people catch me taking photos of myself. Hence my love for photographing in secluded places.

Elizabeth, Delightfully Tacky said...

Haha, I know what you mean feeling like a total freak doing self-timer photos around people who don't know what you're doing. Ah, the sacrifices for blogging.

Samurai Mom said...

My Grandma wore house dresses all the time, but never belted- much cuter that way.

calivintage said...

i always look sad in my pictures, but it's just my face i swear! haha! so don't feel too bad about it. also, this reminds me that i should unearth some of my old house dresses and wear them more often. i don't know why i ever got out of the habit of wearing them because they're just oh so perfect! you look lovely. :)

esme and the laneway said...

adorable housedress! They seem so smart for doing things about the house... haha I know just what you mean with taking photos in public!

MarieBayArea said...

i love the cherry print of your pretty housedress. dresses with pockets pretty much rule.

Georgia Kent said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels akward taking self photography.... I have to say you're braver than I am... I try to wait for an Isolated moment before snapping photos... and If someone walks by I always feel like the kid who got caught in the cookie jar:)

Rebeccak said...

It's not a sad face! It's a day-dreaming-after-work face. I know that one well :)

I SERIOUSLY love the shoes. I remember you saying once that you don't tend to buy vintage shoes - do you have favorite places for vintage-like new shoes? I have an idea of what I want and can't seem to find it anywhere.

Jess the Chipster said...

such a gorgeous print. you're pretty, i wish i could take a close up picture of my face without having to worry about my blemishes or stray hairs...

Lucille Loren said...

You're divine!.... Let em look! xx L

Casey said...

You look gorgeous! (Despite what you say about the photos--I like them. ;) I just love the prints that were often used on house dresses at that point; they're always so pretty. :)

♥ Casey
blog | elegantmusings.com

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

I hardly ever smile in photos so I thought the first one was wonderful, granted you always have that happy face in your photos!!! I love the design on that dress.

Charlotte said...

House dresses are great! What's the print, it's hard to tell - looks like conkers.

I usually take my outfit photos in our back garden by our picturesque little shed, but I do try to use different backgrounds for variety - I once took some photos round the corner from Matin's office, and besides the various people walking past, some of his colleagues saw me out of the window and thought I was bonkers! They've since got used to my strange outfits and stranger behaviours.

xx Charlotte
Tuppence Ha'penny

Maria Confer said...

You still look so beautiful Solanah!

Ha, I get really awkward when people are watching me too, but I think you look lovely.

Lulu Letty

KristiMcMurry said...

I admire you for taking pictures of yourself in public. I don't think I could do it.

And for those couple of people passing by that think you're a weirdo, there's a lot of people online that think you're pretty rad!

Stéphanie said...

You are so adorable !

Jenni said...

Ha, I love to hear people's stories of public photo taking. I'm nervous to venture outside my apartment complex!

You look super cute! I think it's funny how the clothes people used to wear to clean the toilet are nicer than most of the clothes people wear out today... Funny or sad. :D

Stefanie Valentine said...

I totally get what you mean, I mean really embarrassed taking photos of myself! You are a lot braver than me!
Gorgeous housedress, you look wonderful in it.

hannah, heart city said...

you are super adorable in that perfect housedress! the dandelion just adds that cherry on top, haha. i dig your style!!

melina bee said...

I tend to like more "ambient" photos, so I actually think the first one is cute and that you look more in thought than sad.
Cute dress-- I think most 50s housedresses are as fancy as regular day dresses today, very cute print (rosehips?)