6.03.2013

Cheerful Weather for the Wedding

 photo Cheerful5_zpseab7b1c7.jpg

I stumbled upon Cheerful Weather for the Wedding today on Netflix, and from the beginning loved the visuals. It's a 1930s period piece about a woman having second thoughts on her wedding day, and the film jumps between her wealthy dysfunctional family, and memories from the previous summer she spent with a past boyfriend. 

I'll watch anything 30s/40s for aesthetics alone, though this was just the kind of story I enjoy. Not nearly as heavy as I expected, there were actually a few giggle worthy parts, and I became more invested in the characters as the story progressed. It's one of those movies I can draw inspiration from, as well as watch multiple times and get something fresh out of it every time. 

The cast was great, the few likable characters stayed on the sidelines (but I enjoy leads who I don't necessarily root for), and it was just so pretty, why not watch it ;)


 photo Cheerful2_zpsb3da2699.jpg
 photo Cheerful3_zps97f1d1b9.jpg
 photo Cheerful7_zpsb6d8e0d2.jpg
 photo Cheerful1_zps9268bf0d.jpg
 photo Cheerful6_zps348939ad.jpg
 photo Cheerful4_zps9c6a8a00.jpg Screen stills from here

24 comments:

MarieBayArea said...

Thanks for the movie rec. will def ck this out. Look at those clothes!

Witchcrafted Life said...

Marvelous costuming at work here. I'm with you completely. I'll watch pretty much anything set (or filmed during) in the mid-twentieth century for the costuming, hairstyles, make-up and settings alone.

♥ Jessica

Sara Kristiina said...

I also watch anything with historical costumes, especially 20s! Of course, old movies from that period are the best to show the fashion of the era, I enjoy them very much. This movie looks very interesting, i think I'll check it out :))

Rebecca said...

oh how i wish i could get netflix :(

WILDFLOWER said...

Wow yes I would totally watch this for the asthetics too! Adore that period, women looked sooo beautiful then. Sounds like a great movie too. X

Foxburrow Vintage said...

Will have to check this out soon! Looks very interesting!

lauren said...

I'll be watching this before the week's end - thank you! I also spy a Game of Thrones gal in those stills. :)

Anonymous said...

I've seen this film! I found it to be so sad but the costumes were gorgeous!
xx
http://thescreensiren.com

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

Added to my queue. These stills look like a fashion shoot!

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge Netflix junkie and I'm going to have to check this out. Thanks!

Betty2Tone said...

I was hoping that was another TV show, but it still looks so good!

Paigey The Vintage Dame said...

Im most definitely going to have to check this one out!

garofit said...

Hm, I wonder if this is available on LoveFilm...

Leah said...

OOooh! This looks like something I would just love! Thanks for posting!

Unknown said...

Aw amazing outfits! This is something I'll have to watch, and what a great young british cast.

zilredloh said...

Oh Yes! I saw it in Netflix on Sunday and I watched it straight away as I love Felicity Jones.

Her striped silk pajama/play suit at the end was to die for, no?!

zilredloh said...

And by striped I mean floral. heh

Allison Teresa said...

Haha that's so funny. I watched this a week or two ago and was so enthralled with the aesthetics as well. The story bummed me out a bit, but it was still lovely. I'd kill for some of those clothes!

Nan said...

I saw this movie and especially loved the visual of the whole look, very dreamy. The main character who couldn't make up her mind I found to be a bit of a doopy thing lol..my favorite was the young woman with the hat and fur you picture here she was so interesting. Yes I seek out movies like this for the wardrobe.

Unknown said...

Wow. This looks like it's worth watching for the costuming alone! Definitely going to check it out. Thanks!

Lexi said...

Thanks! I've been looking for a new period piece to devour!

Unknown said...

I got all excited then, then remembered UK netflix has different things to the US one. Will have to go and see if it's on it!

Autumn said...

I loved this movie, I picked it up on Netflix for the clothing but I just adored it, especially how gray all the characters were, no one was really good or bad, just very human. And her little white shorts and rainbow striped top made me absolutely swoon! And her wedding dress was amazing, I just love the drape of the dresses of that era, so romantic.

BaronessVonVintage said...

This is going to the top of my "must watch" list!!