3.08.2010

California day 3: Fishies!













This morning we headed to the Birch Aquarium for the exhibit There's Something about Seahorses, and they were all so pretty! Sea life is some of the most beautiful, colorful, and bizarre, that was my favorite chapter of the Planet Earth series. We got there just as an elementary school group was arriving, and usually stayed one step ahead of them, they were so funny, and super excited to be there.
Outside of the exhibit was a little tide pool area overlooking the ocean, and I got to pet a starfish and a sea cucumber! The starfish felt like a kitty tongue, and the sea cucumber felt like a cucumber that had been left in the back of the fridge too long (squishy).
Thanks to everyones suggestions on the last post we went into Hillcrest to shop at Wear it Again Sam, and Flashbacks. Unfortunately Wear it Again Sam is closed on Mondays, but I did find the most amazing late 1930s black wool dress at Flashbacks, can't wait to wear it come fall! There was also a wonderful pair of black suede 40s peep toe oxfords there that would have gone perfectly with it, but a they were a size too small :(

On a side note, a few of you asked about my sailor jacket, which is so funny since I wear it all the time, but I guess I never have it on for outfit photos! I bought it at Buffalo Exchange a couple of years ago in their "halloween section" and it was just a tad too small, so I cut it up the front and added buttons and button holes. I've been told from many an old man that it's from the 40s, and a torpedo ship I think. Like I said, it's very small, the man who owned it must have been quite short! It's well worn, which I love, it's so great to know something like this was used, just think of the stories it holds!

Dress-Buffalo Exchange, Hawthorne

Sailor Jacket-Buffalo Exchange, Burnside

Fascinator hat-Not Quite Vintage

1950s confetti sunglasses-From a giveaway on Pretty Little Things

12 comments:

Sirens Sexy said...

ahhh You were at my school (UCSD)!

Unknown said...

I'm loving these travel posts! Keep up the dedication and great snapshots!

renatsan said...

I love your style....i also adore vintage clothes......keep going ...kisses from Athens Greece

Bombshell Bettie said...

how fun! i love to vist aquariums. I think we're trying to get one around here...the closest is in Portland (?) I've been to one there 2 or 3 times, I love going and watching the jelly-fish. :)
you look adorable like usual. that jacket is fantastic and you know i'm drooling over your sunnies!

BaronessVonVintage said...

love the colors of those sealife pics....and you look so stellar in that dress!

bonfire of my vanity said...

oh! that dress. i'm dying over here!
http://bellisimama.blogspot.com/

art deco dame said...

aw I'm glad the sunnies you won got to go on vacation with you

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

love the sailor shirt and the picture of you in the shark's mouth haha. The fact that you are happy to be in his mouth is what made me smile. I am sure many have taken pictures of themselves looking scared.

Hanna said...

You are so inspirational and sweet!

Stefanie Valentine said...

You are so cute, i wish i could find a sailor jacket like yours! x

Anonymous said...

i LOVE your aqua hat. did you model this hat @ Not Quite Vintage?

Solanah said...

Katrin, I did!