2.03.2009

"The bins."

I've mentioned the bins a few times, and never really gave an actual definition of what the heck I'm talking about. Well let me explain. The bins are a nickname for the Goodwill Outlet stores, and consists of a big warehouse with rows and rows of plastic bins on wheels. You dig through everything looking for what you want, and pay by the pound. The only organization is books, clothes, and everything else. And I mean everything. I usually find something "moist" (which is why I wear gloves), and totally smelly torn up clothes, but on the flip side, my boss has found a Chanel bag and Hermez scarf, and while I have yet to find such treasures, most of my shop comes from the bins. I've also found some totally awesome cheesy stuff I take pictures of that I don't want to take home, but don't want to forget.

I mean, look at that picture. Its a wizard being accompanied by a unicorn and a dragon, with a rainbow emerging from a lighting crystal ball. Can you handle all of that?
Really I love the bins, as smelly and dirty as it is. Because it's like a treasure hunt, and the thrill of finding something underneath all of that garbage is pretty satisfying. Basically I dig through junk so you don't have to :)

Top-T.J. Maxx

Skirt-The Urban Eccentric

Bag-Michael Kors

Shoes-Etienne Aigner

9 comments:

Twila Jean said...

I wish I had the ability to go to the bins.
On monday on my thrift extravaganza. I went there. the BIGGGG one in portland even. But I had margaux, and it turns out that is a horrid mix. :(

oh well. someday my kids will be grown and I can again enjoy the bins. I miss it so.

Rhiannon said...

Yeah!!! I always wondered what the bins were! In Illinois there was a Salvation Army version of it that I went to once and I found these amazing t-strap flats but the place scared me and I never went back.

That wizard picture cracked me up. You are smart to wear gloves!

Oh, and don't you wonder how the value of things like real Chanel bags can go past so many employees? It makes me want to work part time at the Value Village just to get to these things before the customers do.

whichgoose said...

My sister (in Seattle) goes to the bins there ALL THE TIME and I am SOoooo jealous. Only been once on a visit last year and it was amazing...though I did have a severe allergy attack! hehe :) (worth it....)

Solanah said...

Oh yeah, I went to the one in Portland today, it's my favorite. Ten minutes in there and I've got a good pile going. Vancouver bins are a little harder to get a lot in a short amount of time, but I have found some great 40s and 50s dresses.

Haha! Rhiannon, you sound like my friend who went with me once. She hated it, and got caught in a crazy shoe frenzy. A girl who works at goodwill actually told me that employees aren't allowed to shop at the outlets. That would be terrible if you saw something amazing.

Oh I'll bet the Seattle ones are great, lucky her :)

Kendra said...

Irene and I are going to the bins this weekend. Seattle bins. It's going to be an adventure. Maybe I can find some neat bird cages. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm dying to go to the Goodwill bins near me--after hearing so many "amazing finds" stories on the 'net. The whole idea of a treasure hunt and not knowing what's in there intrigues me... :)

Fashion Schlub said...

Yeah, we don't have Bin-type stores...everything's been picked through (for the best items to go on the goodwill auction site), and the rest is priced-to-the-hilt and hung on racks. It's funny how different the thrifts are from state-to-state...

lauren said...

Want bins! We do not have such things, just Value Worlds full of organized stuff or Salvation Army, more organized and more expensive! I would gladly sift for treasures!

Kim Caro said...

ah--- i see!