2.28.2009

Showered with treasure.


Friday my grandmother went to an estate sale in town and bought me all sorts of wonderful goodies. I used to go to garage and estate sales a lot with my grandma when she had a space in an antique mall, and on those treasure hunts I found my first pair of gloves, my first Nancy Drew book, and saw how the pros handle such amazing deals. Being a little girl I could get away with a lot. Distract a competitor with a sweet little smile, run up stairs past dealers and pick out all the good stuff before anyone else. My grandma and I were a competitive pair, and I'm hoping to go more often this summer, maybe I can even use that as motivation to learn how to drive.
She said she didn't even get to the sale when it opened, but found these fabulous treasures and so much more she wanted to buy. However she did say one woman that had been there a while had a bunch of vintage lingerie, I think it was a good thing I wasn't there or else I would have tackled her. These dresses are super though, I'm so excited to have a dress with matching bolero, those are difficult to find these days, and I love the fluffy trim. The red candystripe one is in one of my favorite styles, with a wrap-around back and big decorated pockets. Summer can't come soon enough.


Gloves! Gloves are always a wonderful gift, and every one of these are in perfect condition, even the white ones. The lace blouse will make a wonderful layering piece until the warmer weather, and this hat pin is one of the most unique I've seen. I have yet to use my new machine (but did get the bobbin case) so hopefully when I do I can use this rick-rack for something, they're in such fun colors. And one can never have too many rhinestone brooches, and this sweet little one is perfect lapel sized.
Also she got me some beautiful paisley fabric, another blouse, a pair of earrings, and a bunch of pretty silk scarves. Doesn't get much better than a crock pot box full of vintage eye candy.

Thank you Grandma!

19 comments:

Elisa said...

AHHHHH,

incredible incredible incredible.

that is what your blog is.

Twila Jean said...

thats so awesome.

I wish someone in my family did things like that for me.

they all think that vintage means 80s so I get weird gifts of stuff I would never use. But my family does not do the estate thing. just me and tim.
I cant WAIT til the season really hits again. I just need to find a friday morning baby sitter. hahaha

Unknown said...

I am totally in love with your blog. I wish we had better vintage stores where I live, but I've found a couple that are really great, and a consignment store I adore (but the clothes are still pricey....)
Anyway, now that I have found your blog I am a most devout reader. Thank you!

Ana said...

Oh old Nancy Drew books. I have a collection of about 50 and I would read a new one every day, and then reread, and rereread.

Lovely pictures.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!!! Total eye-candy in this post! ;) I love both those dresses; especially the red striped one! (Now I'm dying to make a stripy, red dress!) Such a lucky gal to have a grandma who shares your love of beautiful, old treasures...

Can't wait to see you incorporating some of this into your wardrobe!!!

lauren said...

It's so cute that your grandmother scopes stuff for you! My mom does it for me, but there's nothing like the thrill of finding a serious bounty at an estate sale, I can't wait until summer when there are sales every weekend!

Lauren said...

LOVE the red and white striped dress. and the sparkly brooch! I can't wait till yard sale season begins either! how sweet of your grandma! what fun!! hey there's another Lauren!

Lisa Sofia said...

Way to go Grandma! These are such fun treasures. I love the candy stripe dress! Do you want to take me to the bins with you on Tuesday? I want to play!

Solanah said...

Of course I'd love to go :)

I'll be over later, so I'll talk to you then.

Anonymous said...

hey do you know how much your grandma paid for that red and white striped dress? Im not trying to be nosy, just to get an idea of how much things cost at estate sales. When I'm a grandma I'm gonna go to estate sales and buy stuff for my grandaughters! I just hope they'll appreciate that kind of stuff! Well im sure I'll train them well! lol!

Heidi Ann said...

You are a very lucky girl to have a grandmother who shops for you. I love those red dresses! And the gloves, and the rhinestone pin, and.....

GPROA said...

I think I would probably be jealous of your glove collection, if I saw it.

Actually, does your How To Clean Everything book have directions for kid gloves? (Thank you!)

Solanah said...

Thanks for the great comments everyone!

Lauren, the dresses were $4 each, a steal in my opinion.

Hasson, it has a way to clean leather gloves, not kidskin. I know I read somewhere years ago how to clean them I wish I could remember where.

I'm going to do another cleaning post from the book with some things I'll pick out, I'll make sure and include the gloves :)

Anonymous said...

I love those red dresses! they are adorable! especiallyy with the bolero!

Anonymous said...

I love that blouse!

GPROA said...

Thank you!

Lauren said...

4 dollars......that is cheaper than a steal! Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Is the wrap dress a Swirl? Love the white trim!

Solanah said...

It is a Swirl!