3.03.2009

Jumpsuits.


I love jumpsuits. Its one of those odd style choices that I just cant explain, because it does not fit in at all with the rest of my closet. At work whenever I look through the rack of long dresses and discover one is actually a dress, I get overjoyed as the garment becomes much more exciting. Last year I bought a halter top jumpsuit with a pattern of blackberry bushes and butterflies all over, and can't wait to wear it again. There's even this ridiculous leopard print jumpsuit at work I find myself oddly attracted to, even though everyone seems to think it's just too ugly. I think it's just too awesome.
My friend Jen has a blue mechanics jumpsuit she always looks adorable in, so naturally I felt the need to find a workers jumpsuit as well. I think my love for those can be explained my my dad being a mechanic, and seeing so many photos of women during WWII in jumpsuits, particularly one I had with three women, and they were all wearing them but had great 40s hair and red lipstick.
I went to the bins today and found a few things, and was happy to find this army green jumpsuit. I planned on selling it, since like I said it just doesn't have an obvious place among my other clothing, but then I put it on and it fit so well, then took this picture and loved the way it looked. I'm feeling creative with it, maybe pairing it with something unexpected like high heels, a belt, I'll probably monogram it at some point, and of course red lipstick in the spirit of those hard working yet fashionable ladies.

Adorable military girls from Women Veterans Historical Collection

1930s jumpsuit pattern from So vintage patterns

9 comments:

Josephine Frances said...

I definately have a soft spot for jumpsuits too, and I'm pretty sure it comes from all the same kind of images! Plus, they are so comfortable!

Anonymous said...

I'm personally not a huge fan of jumpsuits on myself (too much "junk in my trunk"! lol), but you look adorable! I think there is something delightfully practical and cute about that style; perfect for days when you don't want a dress to get in the way. ;) Can't wait to see what other accessories you pair with it!

Heidi Ann said...

It looks cute on you! I still have a jumpsuit I wore in the late 70's! Doubt it will ever fit me again - but I kept it! I'm kind of a freak that way.
Check out my blog today - I used your picture in my post!

Ella said...

I've always liked jumpsuits, but i'm keener on ones with short legs. However, i don't own one, although i've been looking for one for about a year.
RE about murder mysteries, My favorite is the tv adaptation of Agatha Christie's Poirot, because of the belgan accent and the mustache...
I love how you pick out inspiration from different eras, although the core element is the same.
xx

Caroline said...

wait- those are actually sounding cute, in a really weird way! especially with red lipstick and a bob!!!I doubt i could pull it off, but i am sure you can! can't wait to see yours!

Andrea Eames said...

You actually look fantastic in the jumpsuit! I hadn't thought of the wartime Land Girls association with them before, that makes them instantly more appealing.

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

I used to wear jumpsuits all the time and still think they are fabulous. My only jumpsuit now is my Carhart overalls! Keeps me warm in the winter!

TERI REES WANG said...

I love mine belted high, with bottoms tucked into some cozy boots, and layered with a thermal over, and a sweater over.

Anonymous said...

I too adore jumpsuits. I own about 15 different ones. I'm having pretty good luck finding them on ebay. They are hard to find brand new.