7.09.2010

Portland Antique Expo!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Today was the first day of the Palmer and Wirfs Antique and Collectable show! Twila Jean and I got up bright and early and headed over to the huge show, that boasts over 1400 booths of antiques and vintage. Today was actually one of the early pass days, where you can pay extra to get in the day before the show officially starts. This day is generally for dealers, so there were some crazy serious people there, and amazing deals! But for the first time in a while I actually just shopped for myself!
The place is huge, it has two giant halls of wall to wall booths, and in the summer months they fill part of the parking lot with stuff too. You can pretty much find anything here, but as you can see I only got clothing, despite trying to find a certain present for Sam. I now know that I only have "the eye" for vintage clothing, everything else is just a blur!

We had too much fun, and I saw lots of kitty stuff, and found an amazing pink and white Schwinn, I hope goes to a good home (and by good home I mean someone who will dress cute while riding it).

We ran into Julie of Fab Gabs, and Lulu of Shop Vintage Portland, who both looked fabulous of course! Lulu took our picture together and Julie pointed out a funny little thing. She is wearing a dress she bought from my work, I am wearing a dress I bought from her, and Twila is wearing a dress she borrowed from me! Small little world. I also want to point our that the dress Twila has on was once my aunts, and then my sister in laws, and then my mothers, and then mine. Hopefully it will pass on soon to Coedith's girls (it's so tiny, I will never fit into it again!). Or maybe my mom wants it back, she is a perfect vintage extra small.

Here's what I got today:

The cutest 1930s tap knickers, with bows!
A little cotton sailor top, probably 40s, you'll just love it!
A 1950s bra style top (I'm wearing it in one of the photos), that has some stubborn rust stains, but I couldn't pass it up.
A black 1930s rayon dress, needs lots of work but the beautiful detail is worth saving!
A cream 1930s knit top, with a fantastic collar
The most amazing jacket (band jacket?) with fantastic detail and....tails! A jacket with tails has been on my wish list for ages.
A darling early 1940s blue and cream striped dress with pinafore ruffles and a button up back
A 1930s rayon dress with caps and whips on it. Horse racing theme I think.
A 1940s silk turban style topper hat, like you see in the movies.
A pink velvet hat that matched my outfit perfectly! And to make it better, it came in the original box from Meir and Frank, with
writing on the side that read: "Pink velvet hat purchased Sept. 1958" . Also had the original tag. I wish there were more
dated finds like that!
A pretty blue flower sun dress, with pockets!
A funny little tourist blouse, with deer on it.
Two petticoats, I purchased after I said to Twila "I don't need anymore petticoats". Why would I say a silly thing like that?
And last but not least, a black garter with a zipper pouch on the side. It's pretty cool.

The show continues Saturday and Sunday for you Portland area vintage peeps, it's a great treasure hunt!

42 comments:

Miss Caitlin Elizabeth said...

Those finds look just fabulous and your dress is adorable! I have a whole lot of love for that band jacket-So cute. How did you even narrow it down? I went to a 3 story antique mall today and I was so overwhelmed by all the choices I had to make, I can't imagine going to such a huge place and having to make decisions:D

-Caitlin-
http://thosewereverygoodyrs.blogspot.com/

Aimée - Vint Condition said...

I hope you get the rust stains out of that bra top. It's adorable!

Next week I'm going to Brimfield. I'm feeling overwhelmed already!

Solanah said...

Yes it was very overwhelming!

Zohar said...

that looks so wonderful! To drawn in a sea of vintage! Defiantly a little over whelming I'm sure, but if it's a show you can always stop by again right? I'm so jealous :)

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) said...

Wow, I probably would have blown all my money at the first five booths, it would have been hard to know what to buy! You got quite the haul-- I love the band jacket and the little pink hat. :)

art deco dame said...

oh my!it looks like you scored!Love the finds!

Sara Kristiina said...

Oh wooow! How amazing ! I would be totally crazy there and not know what to buy :D Awesome pics!

-Sara

Rebeccak said...

What fantastic finds! I can't wait to see them in action.

As for the rust stains - would you ever consider dying the top a darker colour? What is your stance on interfering with vintage like that?

Jenni said...

Look at these great pictures! I can't wait to see everything you got!

Alyssa said...

We have nothing like this on the East Coast. Not fair, not fair at all!

Q's Daydream said...

I'm soooooooooo jealous! I want to go there! Sounds like you got some amazing things! How bout that little blue bathing suit? Did someone get that? Will it be for sale? hehe

Riikka said...

Wonderful pictures; it is as if we were there with you. Looks like you had a lot of fun and made some amazing finds as well!

Miss Lottie Lou said...

Oh my word so many fabulous things, I love everything!! The photos are fab and to be honest I'm super jealous!!
Congrats on your awesome finds :)
Lottie x

Erica! said...

That looks like paradise!! And you have some AMAZING finds!!! Congrats! Plus you look absolutley adorable! I'm still new to the vintage thing. I need to do some homework to see if there are any things like that in my city.

Erica
danired922.blogspot.com

Victoria / Justice Pirate said...

Twila's petticoat reminds me that I need to get a much poofier one for some of my dresses. Mine is a little flat! Love all of these clothes SOOOOOOOO much!

Lauryn said...

Love it all! I've wanted to go to Portland for a while now and this is the reason why! :)
{Lauryn}

KristiMcMurry said...

Are you in Heaven?!

Unknown said...

No dear, you two looked fabulous! I looked a hair hungover, had no make up on, due to not staying at my own house the night previous (ahem!) and my curls from the night before hadn't obliged me and stuck around. But at least I was there! Ha.

mary van note said...

seeing this gets me excited about going to the antique fair in Sacramento on Sunday! I hope I find some great finds like you. BTW your dress is so darling. You all looked smashing!

Dizzy Dame said...

sooo fun! the photo with the three of you gals is nice.

Anonymous said...

You look like you had a great time!

I have to say, I want that dress you're wearing!! I know i have a similar pattern, so maybe I'm find cute fabric & make it!

try soaking the rust stains with a little oxy laundry cleaner. It worked for me on an adorable embroidered 20s apron.

Solanah said...

Q, It was actually a little girls suit (with hips!), too bad, because it was adorable!

Rebeccak, I tried geting the stains out best I could, but it looks like will have to dye it, too bad, it's such a pretty color. I'm going to look into color removers, and if that works out, just dye it a similar blue.

Su, I tried Oxy clean, and it helped fade them a little, but not to the point where it's not prominent. It works great for lots of other things though!

calivintage said...

first off, you ladies look adorable shopping around at the expo! makes me sad that i wished the vintage expo that comes around my area...

and second, wow what i haul! so many beautiful vintage pieces at once!

Dimitri Zafiriou said...

the best icon with girls go out for shopping!!!!!!!!!!!You are true inspiration for my work. Thank you..

Anonymous said...

The clothes are amazing but THE BIKE! Oh wow! I love it---I do hope it went to a good home.

Kir said...

Oh my goodness, looks like you all had a fabulous time. And found some fabulous finds! I wish where I lived had stuff like that! :)

Minka said...

these cat pillows look amazing! and I'm jealous about the weather - it's raining ALL THE TIME where I live

A said...

Oh wow! That looks wonderful and you got a heap of stuff!

LittleRachael said...

GREAT finds! And i love your dress xx

Little Rachael Vintage
Http://littlerachaelvintage.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

What crazy amazing treasure you found!!!! I am so bummed I am not making it to this one; keeping shop on Friday and Saturday, then have family visiting on Sunday..... wahhhh! I am living it through fellow PDX area blogs. And, it looks amazing. And, I am sad :( However I am happy that you found so much cute stuff!! Can't wait to see it all on 'ya!

Amy said...

I think your band jacket might be a West Point cadet coat but without the cadet stripes. I used to live near there, and that looks very much like what they wore for their dress uniform.

Here's the best photo I could find:
http://img.timeinc.net/time/photoessays/westpoint/images/splash2.jpg

cb said...

wow that looks soo amazing and everything you bought looks just as wonderful! i love antique flea markets! please tell me that your friend got that really cute blue bathing suit! i want that soooo BAD it looks adorable!

xo,
cb
www.thecitybirdsnest.blogspot.com

In The Heyday said...

what a great day out. You all look wonderful and your finds are great treasures

Rebecca Jean said...

What a fun day! Looks like you scored all kinds of goodies. I love that photo of Twila bent over and all you see is her skirt and crinoline. Is she wearing a bra outside her dress?

♥ Rebecca Jean
Midnight Maniac

archives vintage said...

oh. my. GOSH! amazing loot!!!

Unknown said...

The jacket is a West Point (USMA) long tailed cadet's dress jacket. My dad went and I have one that looks identical! Based on the same jackets the cadets would have worn went the college opened (Civil War period).

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Loving the kitty pillows! You sure did get some amazing items. Lucky girl!

Jenni King said...

Oh no, I want to make a special trip back out to Portland just for this! You found some amazing things!

Solanah said...

Amy and Bonnie, thank you for the info!

Someone else told me that, but it seemed like a funny military uniform, but since it's based on civil war uniforms, that a makes much more sense :)

xoxo

Charlotte said...

OMG JEALOUS!!! Looks seriously amazing.

xx Charlotte
Tuppence Ha'penny

Lizzy said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!! Lucky gilrs!!! I wish I could go a place like that.............. =(

EVERYTHING is just great!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your pictures are great also!