2.13.2012

Military murals

Photobucket

This massive mural is right here in town and yet I've never taken pictures at it until now. It's a collective of smaller murals by various artists, in remembrance of military veterans. If you're ever travelling around Portland on the I-5, take exit 1B in Vancouver and head toward The Red Lion Hotel. It's just north of that on the train overpass. And then grab a bite to eat at Woodys Tacos. Go on now. 

My favorite murals are the ones like propaganda posters. There's also ones depicting female workers. Our main claim to fame here were shipyards during the war, and whenever I wear a Rosie look, someone stops and tells me how I look just like their mother/aunt/grandma, who worked at them during WWII. I was going to post them today, but I think those murals deserve a different outfit! 

On my way back home I walked by the airfield and chatted with a nice elderly man who told me all about flying in the 40s, and we talked about good ol' American roadtrips. Apparently he's been to every state, I hope to say the same one day! 

1940s sweater-Dear Golden Vintage 

 1940s red skirt-Courtesy of Fab Gabs 

 1940s saddle shoes-The Cats Pajamas Antiques 

Everything else-thrifted

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

24 comments:

Janey said...

Red, white and blue is one of my favorite color combos. And this outfit is stunning! That sweater is just too amazing!

Shady Del Knight said...

Absolute perfection.

Unknown said...

Great photos and I really love your saddle shoes.

Jessica Dimas said...

You are so so pretty! Love the outfit, and love the unique background shots.

Emma Litton said...

Sooo adorable! I just love the sweater.

xo,
Em

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

I am CRAZY for sailor stuff. I am loving that top. I am also loving the blue socks, I always go white. Nice

foodie said...

This is a really cute sailor style top, so cheeky! <3

VintageDanielle said...

You're a natural pin up girl. Wonderful pieces, hat, and hair :)

Anonymous said...

LOVE THEM!!!

Zane said...

you look perfect and the photos are beyond gorgeous

Straight Talking Mama! said...

I love those murals, just fabulous! What a great setting for photos too.

That's a lovely sweater, it is a sweater right?

Clara-J said...

hello,
I love your outfit, especially the shoes and the sweater =)

heiter--wolkig.blogspot.com

Darleen Hope said...

Amazing photos, really! And I love your outfit! :)

http://past-the-milky-way.blogspot.com/

The Splendid Suitcase said...

Oh Wowzer! Love that jumper/middy. Lovely outfit. Them shoes are beautiful too X

BaronessVonVintage said...

GORGEOUS sweater...and what a perfect backdrop!

Nan said...

What a beautiful setting so perfect for the outfit. You look wonderful in it.

seannaapproved said...

How cool!!! If you find any Airborne art, please post!!!! My Grampa was Airborne WWII. :)

And I love the sweater! Did you make or did you buy?

Charlotte said...

Oh! I'm officially in love with that sweater!

xx Charlotte
Tuppence Ha'penny

Anushka said...

That opening photo is just fantastic x

sorbetsurprise said...

I love that jumper! The murals are amazing!

Casey Maura said...

Those murals are so neat! Wish we had something like that here! (Instead we just seem to have the usual sort of monuments/memorials...) Love your outfit too--the saddle shoes are a wonderful touch!

Gill said...

....hey sailor, new in town? J/K Lovely pics as always!

Peace
Gill

Anonymous said...

so beautiful :r

Julie said...

Is that the skirt that had a broken zipper and needed a hem? If so, I'm so glad you fixed it! That sat (unworn) in my collection from 2000 until last summer, when Julie B took it off my hands.