2.12.2012

Vintage hairstyles for naturally curly hair


Sometimes I get questions about what to do with naturally very curly hair. Some people get it chemically relaxed so it's easier to traditionally work with, some use water to un-curl and re-curl in the desired way, and some just work with what they have. 

These girls are great examples of not needing to change the texture of your hair for a vintage style. Angelique Noir has a few video tutorials on how to achieve a 1940s look. Also check out The Retro Natural for lots of inspiration and tutorials, she covers a range of deco to mid century styles.

If anyone else knows of or has a blog, video, etc. specifically for working with naturally curly hair, please send it my way! I'll post it here for everyone to reference. 

13 comments:

Lou said...

Thank you for thinking of us ladies! I have always wondered how to set my natural hair in a vintage way to match my dress.

Everyday Fabulous said...

Oh my goodness, thanks so much for this! I'm always looking for ways to style my naturally curly hair. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you and this post.

Anushka said...

i suppose this must be 'grass is greener' syndrome! I've never been able to style my poker-straight hair and have always been envious of naturally-curly haired girls, assuming it must be easier!

Emma Litton said...

Thank you so much for sharing! I'm totally doing this hair style tomorrow.

xo,
Em

Purrfect Kat said...

It's really cool!!!!

Ms.Tips said...

I recently discovered her on Youtube too. She's awesome!

Mia said...

THANK YOU! I am always looking for hair tutorials for naturally curly hair. These are great. :D

Rebecca Jean said...

My goodness... could she possibly be any more adorable? I got a toothache just from watching that. She's so sweet!

From a curly girl, thanks for posting this!

♥ Rebecca Jean
Midnight Maniac

Mary Ellen said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Mary Ellen
The Working Home Keeper

Sarah said...

This is awesome. Though I dress mostly 50s, my naturally hair resembles a 20s-30s cut as I grow it out. I'd like to learn how to get a little volume on the crown without things getting crazy and perhaps try a poodle-inspired updo. Definitely checking out the site

Tina said...

Yay! I have been looking for some curly hair tutorials. Thank you!

Bound said...

Yay! Thank you for this!

FordQueen said...

Hello! Found you from a link on caseys blog. and just wanted to let you know i have a couple videos on youtube for naturally waist lenghth curly hair. My user name is FordQueen. take a look and hopefully they might help sum of your readers! :)