4.21.2009

Its hot!


It was hot today. Sam and I made it to the bins a little earlier than usual which turned out to be really nice because most of the other vintage dealers and hipster girls were not there yet, so very little competition. It's torture to walk by some smelly middle aged man with an armful of 50s sundresses and kick myself for not finding them first. They all just list them on ebay with shabby photos and high prices, or sell them to other dealers with shops. I'm the only female there that is a serious vintage dealer too, but like I said, the hipster girls my age are always lurking around searching for 80s stuff. The bins are quite a cast of characters.
Anyway, I came across this pile of adorable 60s swimsuits, (actually I think one is 80s but looks older). My favorite is the blue, it's just perfect I was so excited when I found it. I also found the best Laura Ashley dress, it has a sailor collar and looks so 1930s, even Sam thought so. I will be listing that next week though, so if you want a sneak peek, my mailing list participants get first look :)
I also decided I really need to sew that 1930s dress, so I borrowed Lisa's sewing machine for a bit and then Thursday we are going to the big fabric store where they have rows and rows of reproduction feedsack prints. Yay!

10 comments:

Twila Jean said...

Oooh how I adore fabric depot! they have some GREAT 30s repro cottons!

good luck with the pattern let me know how it goes! I am excited to see the dres.

Josephine Frances said...

Oh your so lucky! I wish I had a fabric shop nearby with feedsack reproductions! I'm sure you will make the loveliest dress!

leila wylie said...

These swimsuits are really great. I'm currently somewhat obsessed with finding a perfect vintage swimsuit. I have one from the 20s but it's more like a dress and also is made of the scratchiest wool my skin has ever had the displeasure of touching. I can't believe people used to wear that on their skin, at the beach no less! Not to be weird or anything but you have a really great figure!

Solanah said...

Thanks Leila ;)

I know what you mean. I'm not sure if you saw my swimsuit I got http://vixenvintage.blogspot.com/2009/03/portland-antique-show.html
but I cant wait to wear it! Of course I cant go in the water in it, but no matter :)

That 20s suit sounds fabulous, but oh so uncomfortable in hot weather.

Lisa Sofia said...

I love the blue one too! Fabric Depot, here we come!

Darla: Retro Ways said...

You have great style and I enjoy reading your blog. The bathing suits are adorable but no where as cute as that blue one you have, I am so jealous of that swim suit.

Take care

xo Darla

Joshua Jessup said...

ummmm.

Jolie Goodnight said...

that bathing suit on the right is to die for!

Anna Gibb said...

Sorry if this is an uncomfortable comment, but you have a lovely figure

PlasticDiamond` said...

i LOVE your body. hot.