7.02.2012

1940s hairstyle and pin curler review

Photobucket

{Tools I use}

Hairbrush

Comb

Teasing comb

Bobby pins

Hairspray

Small velcro curlers

Sculpture Pin Curler 

One of the biggest problems I've heard concerning pin curling is starting off the curl. Sometimes it can be difficult to wrap, especially if you have layers. I was sent the Sculpture Pin Curler to test out, and after some trial and error, found it was quite useful for both smoothing out locks, and starting off curls uniformly. I think if I had shorter hair it would be ideal, as when I wrap it completely around as instructed to, the curl is too tight and bulky to pin. 

But I used the tool to start a curl, removed it from the curler, and continued hand curling from there. As you can see in the first photo of me, the curls are all uniform and smooth! No straight ends, which has been an issue lately with this length. And the packaging is adorable, including the instruction booklets and posters of vintage hairstyles. I want to get them framed, I love them that much.

This style is another basic 1940s hairdo.You can see my other 1940s hairstyle tutorial here. You don't have to pin curl, whatever works for you is great! I just prefer pin curling because a wet set has a stronger hold than a heat set. 

And if you have bangs (like I do, about brow length), curl them up while your hair is wet using small velcro rollers. I have these really poky vintage ones, and secure them at the base with a bobby pin. Do not use them on longer hair. They will get stuck and you will cry. 

This has been my go to style lately, once you get used to doing it, it it's pretty quick and easy, but looks quite impressive! 

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Remove all curlers or pins. 
Photobucket
Brush out using your brush of choice, or your fingers if your hair looses curl easily. Photobucket
Use hairspray on your bangs and comb/brush smooth. This helps with frizz and hold. I also teased the back for a little body. Photobucket
Take a front section of hair and spray. Photobucket
Use a brush to smooth, and brush upward. Photobucket
Curl that section in a loop, down towards the top of your head. Photobucket
Place the loop flat on top of your head, and secure with a bobby pin. Place the pin inside the curl. Photobucket
If anyone knows of a video that clearly shows how to pin a bobby pin inside the curl, I'd love to know! It's kind of hard to explain...
Photobucket
Do the same on the other side, and spray with a bit more hairspray. Use more pins if needed for extra security, and you can comb the sides smooth if they need that too. A little frizz isn't too bad though ;)

Depending on how far forward you place the loops, you can add a hat, scarf, or flowers. 

And here's a collective for reference at a glance!Photobucket 

37 comments:

Renee said...

Very pretty. When I was a kid my mom would pin curl my straight hair:)
Then I had to learn how to make pin curls and finger waves when I was in cosmetology school. (I wonder if they still teach those 2 things?)

Sarah Dee said...

This is a great tutorial! Thanks!

Sarah
theantiquepearl.blogspot.com

Elise said...

Wow that is amazing. The finishes hair style is so classic and beautiful! Nice job :)

http://impossiblyelise.blogspot.com/

susie said...

Renee, they do! I went to cosmetology school a couple years ago and was shocked that they were teaching us these things. I thought "Surely I'll never use this information!" Of course, now I'm happy to know it.

KittyMeow said...

I think I need one of those! Just venturing into styling my hair vintage and one of those would be so nifty for my straight, shortish, flat hair!

Vintage Living Magazine said...

Great tutorial, Solanah! As always, you look stunning! :-)

Nunnu said...

cool. great editorial.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I wish I had hair that would do that (mine is all frizz, all the time, unless I iron it straight). It looks so Little Lulu!

LandGirl1980 said...

That *does* look impressive! I shall have to give this a whirl :)

Little Miss B said...

what a fab post, is there a photo of you with the pins in so we can see how you sectioned the hair and pinned them?

Edith said...

You look stunning as usual! Weird how i was just about to write you a comment to ask you about that particular hairstyle and here it was.

Anyways, do you pin the hair up again at night to make it last another day? It is kind of time consuming to spend every night pinning your hair and i would love if you had any tips for making them last longer. I never seem to manage my curls to last more than a day.....

http://nyheter24.se/blogg/christine-gelfgren

Alexandriaweb said...

That looks so pretty :)

seannaapproved said...

I don't have bangs, but I love this style and could do a faux bang with it. Now all I need is....longer hair. :-(

Mid Century Pink said...

Super cute!!! I've heard nothing but good things about the pin curler and have been debating ordering one. I'm definitely going to get one now. Can't wait to try it out!
P.S. I'm new to following your blog and I think it is fabulous. Everything on it is gorgeous!! LOVE!

Hausfrau said...

A couple weeks ago I read a really helpful post from a friend's blog talking about the types of wire brush rollers from her period of interest (60s and 70s) and how they were typically used. That's where I learned the difference between a wire brush curler (what you have pictured on the top) and a velcro curler (which has the little plastic hooks on the curler surface and are exceedingly unpleasant in my humble opinion!).

Elsewhere she also discusses her experiences with wet and heat sets, and like you she prefers the former.

Unknown said...

Oooohh, your curls are so smooth!

Jitterbuggin said...

Perfection!

M-M said...

oh wow perfect for summer! I needed a 1940s summer hair! Thanks for posting this!

retrotherapy.blogspot.com

Violette B. said...

I find your final hairdo very impressive! I think you showed a natural gift for hairdresses, indeed. Oh, and the pictures are also lovely. I adore the candid look you got. My congrats for a wonderful post!

Joanna said...

Lovely tutorial. I've been really wanting to try this style.
You have beautiful hair:)

http://dividingmoments.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Such a great post!!!

I'd like to keep in touch with you.
What do you say about following each others blog via gfc and bloglovin?

Let me know! Kisses,

www.nicoleta.me

MissNathalieVintage said...

Ever since I found out from a tutorial by JitterbugDoll/Miss Amanda Lee. That I do not have to use pins/clips to do pincurls, I have'nt used them since and without dents.
I learned I could use spongy rod rollers as described here http://m.ulta.com/mt/www.ulta.com//u...Impprod1810003 on dry hair with a setting lotion. My favorite is Motions setting lotion. I use it twice a week after I washed and dryed my hair (I only wash my hair twice a week). Then I will reroll my hair every night(depending on the style. Some nights I do not curl my hair) and lightly spritz it with water and sleep on them for 6-7 hours to set, tied with a head scarf. Then I brush them out and style as desired. Here are a few videos on who to style vintage hair.
#1 Vintage hair http://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=...ldescription=1
#2 Vintage hair http://m.youtube.com/results?gl=US&c...&submit=Search

make sure
if you are curling your hair with hot sticks you lightly apply a heat protecting spray to your hair before curling, otherwise your hair will become dry and brittle. Treseme has one on the market that works great.

Edelweiss Patterns said...

Oh, it's gorgeous! I love curly hairdos, but getting mine to stay put has always been a challenge. Needless to say, I will certainly be ordering some of the curlers you referred to in this post.

Happy sewing!

Katrina
http://www.edelweisspatterns.com/blog

Witchcrafted Life said...

How wonderfully lovely! The finished style is very becoming and suits you to no end.


♥ Jessica

Unknown said...

The lipstick is really pretty - what is it??
http://cupcakesandcosmeticsbyclare.blogspot.co.uk/

Ma Cherie D said...

This is so perfect! You have such a nice hair, and this tutorial is great.

VintageDanielle said...

Great tutorial dear. What lipstick did you use? It's devine!

Mary said...

Sally Beauty Supply sells a tool that is somewhat similar to that pincurler, and it comes in 3 sizes. I got it to help make smoother victory rolls.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great tutorial, I bought one yesterday and can't wait for it to arrive, your hair looks so beautiful ! :)

- Jip.

Sandy -- As Told By Mommy said...

I am so saving up for that! It is so what I need! Loved the tutorial too, I am going to try a variation of this tomorrow...but with bangs and a snood...so I guess it will jsut have the swooped up side curls, still, inspired by you!

Usman said...

I really favored this hairstyle , it's a best style , and looks awesome , Like your hairstyles and pin curler .

fashion n'd style

Unknown said...

This hairstyle is gorgeous on you!
xx Kate
http://pinupkitsch.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Your hair looks so cute! 1940s hairstyles are always at the top of my list. Last summer, I wore my hair in a pageboy style everyday!

xo
abovetheland.blogspot.com

gi_janearng said...

Solanah, your hairbrush! Tell me more about it, please? I picked up a hairbrush and matching hand mirror last weekend that is nearly the same shape and style except the rope on yours is a pearl and jeweled brooch-type design. It was labelled early Victorian but I don't think so by the bristles alone. Do you know how old your brush is? I'm guessing mine might be the same time period as yours based on the design. Either way, it's lovely! If yours is antique, how did you go about cleaning it? I am afraid to get water in the creases and destroy the fabric underneath.

Chloe said...

What a great idea! Your hair looks lovely like this- vintage styling really suits you. Gorgeous! :]

kookyquirkycute.blogspot.com

xx

Denine Lachelle said...

That is such a beautiful brush, my aunt had one of those but she left and I think it got thrown away when I was younger :(

http://lachelleluvsmo.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Still trying to do this :( Doing the bobby pin inside the curl thing is harder than it looks, but I'm trying.
That tutorial you made of how to make curls with fabric inspired me to start wearing a vintage style. Love your blog <3