7.14.2009

Antique show finds.

Photobucket
Last week I was pretty down in the dumps about not being able to go to the Portland Antique Expo, which is over 700 antique and vintage vendors all in one place. Since we're going to San Francisco next week I was saving up for that, and decided that the temptation of unlimited vintage clothing would be too overwhelming ;)
But Saturday morning my mother surprised me with the proposal that we not only go, but she'll give me the money to shop that was going to come after the wedding. Happy day!
So I rushed and got ready, and since I usually plan my outfit all week I just threw on an outfit I put together for the photo shoot and didn't wear.

The expo was amazing, and we could have spent all day there if we didn't have a hair appointment at 2:00.
My goal was to find a Merry Widow to wear under my wedding dress, and not long after we got there my mother found the perfect one! And some awesome seamed stocking to wear Saturday also.

I also picked up an amazing pair of spats for the cooler months, I've always wanted some, and these look brand new.
Tucked at the bottom of a bin was a adorable little red caplet I wore yesterday when visiting our wedding venue.

In another bin was a little cream knit dress (I love knit dresses so much). This one has a 30s look to it.

There was a booth with four boxes of vintage patterns, 2 for $5. Surprisingly most were 30s, 40s or 50s, and my size, I would have bought more but these two were my all time favorites. I made the pants already, pictured in the first photo. The date said 1933, and I adore them, but Shayla and I will have to tackle the dress as it has more pieces and steps.

I couldn't resist a couple of things for my shop, which will be listed in a couple of weeks, but are sooooo amazing. A 50s wedding dress/prom dress that is all ruffles and lace, and the most fantastic 30s dress, I swear you'll go ga-ga for.

Ok, off to do wedding stuff!

36 comments:

The Glamorous Housewife said...

Excellent finds. I can't wait for the Los Angeles expo in a month or two.

ardenkatherine said...

I so wanted to go!
My uncle had a booth there though.

A said...

Fabulous finds! You luck amazing! Wish we had antique shows like that in MN

art deco dame said...

great finds!

Twila Jean said...

oh man.
I am so terribly sad I didnt go now.
I thought you were not going.

ugh.


I am glad you found such cool stuff though.

Sydney B. said...

WOW! You found some fabulous treasures! You scored big time on those patterns. I wish they had an Antique Expo in Tucson!

XO,
Syd Divine
"The Golden Girl of the West"

Sandra said...

wonderful trousers! you look fabulous in them !

Solanah said...

I thought I wasn't going either, but there was one thing I passed up you are going to kill me for not buying. I'll have to show you a photo, but it was a real leopard fur set of a muff/purse, collar and hat with celluloid or bakelite buckles circa 1940s, maybe 30s. I'm kicking myself so much for not buying it, but oh well.

tracey nguyen said...

oh my gosh i can't wait to see the 50s dress! please post!

TERI REES WANG said...

I wonder how the cream knit number would work with the black spats...
Any chance?

Andi B. Goode said...

I can only say what everyone else has: you look fab and what great finds!
-Andi x

Oldilox said...

Ethan and I got "vintage" tuxedoes for the wedding (vintage meaning "used from the Mr. Formal Clearance Center). I'll use my grandpa's handkerchief, though...it is definitely 50's vintage (which is kind of gross, when you think about it)

Unknown said...

Lovely! I want some more 30s pants, I love the wideness they all have!

Solanah said...

Teri, that would look great!

Fleur, I know, I love the wideness too!

Ricki said...

I'm so jealous of that pants pattern. It's perfect.

Gordita said...

The pants are amazing! Great job.

Kelley Anne said...

You look incredible! As always:) I love the cream ruffle dress...so many ways to wear it!

Anonymous said...

Great finds
The promise of the 30s dress is killing me with anticipation :-)

Maria Confer said...

Wow, you are so talented! Your trousers look amazing!

Love all your finds, especially the knit dress and spats!

Tuss said...

I love reading your blog! It's fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Those spats are amazing! Can't wait to see how you wear 'em.

Hannah said...

That cream dress is so nice, can't believe it was in the bottom of the bin!

Eyeliah said...

Yes, those spats are awesome!

Rhiannon said...

The cream dress is so pretty!

Sweetpaintedlady said...

those spats are fantastic, and the pants are lovely.

Witchcrafted Life said...

Such astonishingly fantastic finds, it's wonderful that you had such an amazing vintage shopping trip. (I especially like the spats and charming knit dress.)


Wishing you a splendid Thursday,
♥ Jessica

Casey said...

Oh my! I think my jaw just hit the floor after reading this post! Especially looking at those patterns!!! *drool* Those pants are divine... seriously envying! ;)

Antiorder said...

I am INCREDIBLY jealous of those spats.

catherine_sr. said...

What wonderful finds! Your mom sounds like a wonderful vintage partner-in-crime. As wonderful as she is, my mom has never really understood my passion for "old" things (sniff).

While you are in San Francisco, make sure to check out Britex Fabrics (http://www.britexfabrics.com/) and and Urban Burp (http://www.urbanburp.com/). The latter sells vintage fabrics, the former is a multi-level fabric EMPORIUM. You will go crazy over the notions floor... every kind of ribbon, vintage collars, silk flowers. It's pure insanity. If you like Victorian houses, I also recommend the Alamo Square district. I am so excited for you! You are going to have so much fun! I grew up near SF and my husband and I recently spent our honeymoon there. It was so much fun and so gorgeous, I fell in love with the city all over again.

Selina said...

What great finds, what a treat that you got to go in the end!

Also, what's a merry widow?

Solanah said...

Selina, it's this only white:

http://www.ballyhoovintage.com/miva/images/63310d.jpg

Selina said...

Ahhhh! I wonder how they came up with the name?

Miriam Parkman said...

Ahh I am so, so, so envy of you for those patterns!!
30's and 40's patterns are extremely rare in Sweden... It's mostly (a few) 50's, and then lots of 60's, 70's and terribly much 80's.

The pants looks gorgeous and so do you!

Rupert said...

Who are you Kate Hepburn or Paulette Goddard? LOL Great look and great photo (at top).

Rupert

Unknown said...

I have that exact dress in a lavender color see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ldv/2923019090/in/set-72157607360064388/

Natalie said...

You are such a lovely gal! Adore your style and love your blog. xo