7.06.2009

Hot lady.

Photobucket
At a rummage sale years and years ago I was drawn to this photo. The seller saw me looking at it and said "She didn't know how cool she was."

And she was right. The well done hair, the little tie blouse, the perfectly plucked eyebrows, the clip on earrings. But best of all the glasses. So began my love affair with vintage glasses.

It took years to embrace vintage glasses as an accessory, but now I have such an obsession I feel I should make up for lost time. In the past I have owned four pairs of glasses, but sold two because I could never wear them thanks to the insanely nauseating prescription lenses. Then a few months ago Sam and I were at Magpie Vintage looking at the amazing selection of frames and I noticed all the lenses were popped out. The owner and salesgirl assured me it didn't look weird, in fact, the owner was wearing a pair of glasses that was sans lenses and I didn't even notice! I passed up a bunch of gorgeous frames, but did buy some sunglasses. I figured I should wear the pair I had before purchasing any more. So I took my 50s cat eyes to an optometrist who kindly removed the lenses for me in just minutes. And Voila! Now I can wear them all the time.

I was recently made aware of Vintage 50s Eyewear on Etsy via the Retro Ways blog and want the entire shop.

There's just something about vintage glasses that make me feel so glamorous. And a good quick fix if I can't do eye makeup :)

10 comments:

Little Miss B said...

I used to hate having to wear glasses until I discovered I can get my prescription put in vintage frames, now I can't get enough!

sarah said...

I love vintage glasses! I found a pair a couple of years ago that is sea green with little rhinestones on the corners, and they are amazing. When I took them to the eye doctor to have them replace the old prescription lenses with my prescription, they looked at me like I was crazy! But I love them, and it's nice to still be able to make a vintage statement on those days when I don't want to wear my contacts.

GypsyFox said...

I love vintage glasses! I don;t need to wear glasses, but if I did they would look like this! :)

The Gothic Gentleman said...

good grief that picture looks very much like my mother circa 1954!

jessibee said...

She is awesome. That blouse. gimme!
I have a couple of pairs of vintage glasses along with some modern retro style ones since I am wear glasses every day girl. I once took my Nana's old rhinestone frames in to be done up in my prescription and they said that they couldn't do it, apparently they are not in the strongest condition...so sad!

Eyeliah said...

yes she is lovely, so well pulled together. I choose my frames based on their retro feel/moder twist. It's such a fun way to decorate the face.

Maria Confer said...

What a gorgeous vintage picture!!

Even though I love them,cat eye glasses are not my friend. Being oval faced, I look much better with nerdy square glasses.

AlicePleasance said...

Oh yes, that Etsy shop is amazing!

Casey said...

Being a glasses wearer (who wears contacts 99% of the time now! ;), I never even thought to pop the lenses out! Now I shan't pass up any tantalizing 50s frames I should run across... ;)

Cecily said...

My first pair of vintage glasses was a cat's eye pair from Etsy and I love them. Getting lenses put in the frames can really add up, though...I've wondered about just wearing them without frames. Perhaps I can give it a try - three pairs of glasses just isn't enough :)