7.28.2009

Merci!

Photobucket

I know I did a thank you post what seems like a year ago (ok, I haven't been blogging that long, so not quite), but I wanted to thank everyone for your kindness and encouragement. Sometimes I look back on posts and think "why do they keep reading when I'm just rambling on about little old lady dresses?". But then I realize that there are more people out there like myself who take more interest in an old plastic button than in the latest runway show. Those who gather here like to know that there are others just as silly and different than they are, just as I visit your blogs for the same comfort. The comments for our wedding day post were overwhelming, such wonderful wishes, and even some of you lurkers came out to say something! I admit I am guilty of lurking on many a blog, and you inspired me to comment more on those wonderful blogs I read but say nothing. It reminded me how good it feels to know someone is enjoying something you love and put time and effort into. I just wanted you to know that I read and appreciate every single comment you leave, in the morning it is my alternative to coffee, perks me right up!
Since starting this blog there have been people as kind as can be offering help and lovely surprises, and I hope that I can return such kindness in some way.
Yesterday I received a gift from Madeline, a reader who just celebrated her 29th wedding anniversary. She enjoyed my postings, and shared my excitement for marriage, and wanted to pass on some of her vintage wedding collection to me. She collects vintage wedding cake toppers, which I think is such a wonderful and romantic item to collect, and had some things in her collection she thought I might like.

Which of course I adore.

In the box of romantic vintage lovelies was an antique embroidered silk frame, pocket mirror, hand grooming set (in a little glove pouch!), vintage card, Victorian guide to happy marriage, pretty printed fan, unused loose powder (in Bridal Pink), a little lovebirds cake topper, and an intricately cross stitched linen.

Unwrapping each item was like Christmas, most things I have never come across in vintage hunts, and she even included a little history of the items to add extra sentiment. So thank you so much Madeline! And thank you everyone who reads, comments, keeps coming back, or simply stops by for a peek :)

xoxo


18 comments:

Andi B. Goode said...

What a sweet gift!
Thank-you for having such a lovely and inspiring blog!
-Andi x

Unknown said...

I've been a happy lurker from the very beginning of your wonderful blog and though many blogs have come and gone off my list I still always look forward to yours! It's a delight to see someone so passionate about vintage wear do it such justice with so many cute outfits, fantastic photos, and thoughtful stories.
Congratulations and keep them coming! :)
xx

Sophie V said...

Hi Solanah,
I just discovered your blog a few weeks ago and have been reading back through all your posts. You are so inspiring! I look forward to reading your blog every day. Thank you so much!!!
I also wanted to congratulate you on your wedding and wish you lots of happiness!
Greetings from Germany,
Sophie x

Stéphanie said...

I adore your blog and I adore your style !

The Glamorous Housewife said...

Oh how wonderful! What a nice surprise for you. I just love seeing all the goodies in your package.

Thanks doll,
The Glamorous Housewife

Francois said...

Thanks for your blog.. please could you publish some pictures of you hat collection?

BaronessVonVintage said...

wonderful little care-package...you so deserve it. Your blog is really inspiring and lovely. XOXO

Maria Confer said...

What a wonderfully thoughtful gift!

I adore your blog and it always makes me smile.

Solanah said...

Francios, that is a good idea, I'll start planning such a post :)

Mars said...

Aw, how nice! What a thoughtful and kind person to send that to you :) It's all lovely!

Ashley said...

The gifts are lovely! My sister is getting married next month and I have to say that old wedding things are far more charming and pretty than 99% of the modern things.

Oh and I passed along an award to you!

Solanah said...

Thank you so much Ashley!

Anonymous said...

I am a bit of a lurk :-)

Just recently I caught up on all your old posts I hadn't gotten round to yet. Your blog kept me sane while I was clearing a backlog (a veeery repetetive task) at work. Whenever my brain threatened to atrophy I treated myself to a Vixen Vintage break :-)

Redheaded woman said...

You're just an inspiration to all of us vintage gals. You remind us that it's not bad to be different and unique :). At least we don't look the same as the rest of the world.

x

besides congratulations with your wedding!

Josephine Frances said...

That was the nicest post ever! And what an amazing gift that is so special! I bet that Victorian guide to happy marriage would be a funny and interesting read! I don't suppose you'd like to post some of the tips it gives? :) I find that stuff so fascinating about how people used to be expected to behave and relate to each other.

Solanah said...

Hehe, Shallow Mallow, don't get in trouble at work!

Casey said...

What a beautiful and special gift! :) I am always blown away by the sweetness and generosity of our little corner of the blogging world. :)

Your blog is definitely one of my favorites--I can't get enough of "old lady dresses"! hehe. Your blogging and "ramblings" are very much appreciated, Solanah! Especially since I don't really have many friends close by who understand my eccentric way of dressing (besides my husband and my friend D.); but I have loads who get it online! :)

Heidi Ann said...

Just wanted to say congratulations, and add that I enjoy your blog VERY much. I love seeing all of the vintage fashions. I don't have many vintage dresses, nor the figure you do for wearing them so well, but I do love them, and the way your blog showcases vintage style in such an unique and inspiring way. So, thank YOU.